Newmarket Academy has had more reason to celebrate after following up a ‘Good’ graded Ofsted report with another increase in A-level results. The...
We know that the move to secondary school is a big step for your child and research tells us that students thrive best and achieve more if they feel secure and supported in a small community of learners. That is why we have created “schools within a school”. There are three 'Houses', Brooke, Franklin and Tutte which have been created to both nurture and support our students. Each house has no more than 200 students and so are smaller than most of the primary schools the children are currently studying in. Each house has a tutor group with 15 students and so each child feels supported and challenged. From this secure base the full resources of the Academy are at hand to broaden and enrich the experience for your child.
All Staff at Newmarket Academy are there to help students to learn and progress. So you can ask any member of staff for help at any time.
Your child’s individuality is important to us, which is why we like to work in partnership with Parents and Carers to try and ensure a really successful experience at Newmarket. Research shows that Parent support is eight times more important in determining a child’s academic success than any other input. You are the expert on your child and your support, encouragement and interest can make a huge difference to your child’s motivation and ability to cope with settling in a new School. Communication with your child’s tutor will help us support your child. Please feel free to jot a note in your child’s planner, phone or email us with any concerns you think we ought to know. Even if we cannot talk to you immediately, we will get back to you within two working days.
There is evidence to show that students who make very good progress at secondary school have developed talents and interests alongside their school work. This is why we are keen to encourage your child to try out a variety of enrichment activities after lessons on a Tuesday or Thursday. We hope your child will develop new interests and have a go at new experiences. Committing time and energy to talents and interests can often have positive spin-offs for other work in School. They often develop confidence, organisational skills, self discipline and good communication skills, as well as being a lot of fun.
- Encourage your child to be ready to learn by having the correct equipment every day, such as: pens, pencils, a rule,an eraser and a reading book every day. Please also remind your child to bring their PE kit when it is needed.
- Help your child understand the importance of attendance and punctuality. Good attendance helps lead to success. Please let us know as soon as possible if your child is unwell. Please look at our attendance and punctuality presentation if you have a moment to understand the link between attendance and outcomes.
- Keep an eye on your child’s planner by signing it each week. In it you will find information about the homework they are set as well as letters with key dates, trip details and school events. It is another line of communication between us the School and you, so feel free to jot a note to us in here.
- Discuss your child’s homework – students in Years 7-9 have project based learning projects, with some weekly tasks, students in years 10-11 have weekly homeworks in every subject.
- Encourage your child to discuss their work with you and help them find the space and time to complete homework. Showing an interest in your child’s work helps to underline the idea that you think it is as important as we do.
- Attend Pupil review meetings and get involved in helping your child set targets for their own improvement. Your support in helping achieve targets can be really motivating and set your child on the road to success.
Mid Term Admissions
To apply for a place at the Academy please download the application form and return to Julia Frost at Newmarket Academy.
Once your completed application has been received, along with your childs most recent report and attendance certificate you will be invited to come into the Academy for a meeting.